Monday, March 28, 2016

We Caught the Easter Bunny!

This weekend, we had a great time of relaxing, being together as a family, seeing friends and neighbors, being outside and working on some projects.  I've changed up my d├ęcor for spring - it always seems so bright and colourful, and I'm glad to see signs of new life outside!


This weekend, in the midst of Easter bliss, Abby and Ellie Mae decided that they wanted to attempt to trap a rabbit.  We've seen them hopping around a bit, and so their great idea was to trap the rabbit, and then sell it at the Odd and Unusual auction that's coming up next month.  I was all for this idea, of course, because I didn't think it would happen.  But alas, it did.  We caught the Easter Bunny.


He's quite cute, really, and has mostly lost his white coat in favor of his brown coat.  The trap was checked when our neighbors were over, naturally, so the Girls could all join in the fun!


The dogs were quite interested in this cute creature as well, and so when Abby decided she would like to HOLD THE WILD RABBIT, and the dogs came up to investigate, that thing jumped out of her arms and took off.  And the dog, after it.  I am happy to report, though, that no rabbits were harmed in the making of these pictures, and ol' Thumper got away.  He ran back into the bush, where we most likely will never see him again.  Phew. 

Abby's been itching to set the trap again, but we'll have to see about that....I'm not sure that the dog will be outsmarted again...




Tuesday, March 15, 2016

She Shed

Last summer, Art got it in his head that he'd like to build me a little "she shed".  I'm not sure if y'all have heard of them, but it was a project that he wanted to tackle.  His purpose in converting this little shed for me was to give me a space of my own, where I can escape the hustle and bustle of homeschooling The Girls, working, and general life to get away - if even just for half an hour. 



We took an old shed that we had kicking around (the cutest one, I might add!).  I emptied it out....and let me tell you friends, it was FULL.  Of junk!  And not even good junk!  I think in it's former life it was used as some sort of workshop, so it smelled like oil, had pegboard hanging everywhere, and the floor was full of mouse dropping and dead bugs.  Yuck. 



There was an old desk, nasty dirty junk, and anything else you can imagine!


I kind of loved the pegboard, and thought about painting it white.... but alas, we took it out.


Here's the outside, before we did anything.  After we emptied it out, I put a fresh coat of pain (red, naturally!) on the outside, and we put new skids underneath, to be able to move it.


Here's the side, before we put in the windows.


Right after we painted the building, our dog went and rubbed up against the building.  When I saw him, I definitely did a double take, wondering where he was bleeding from....until I realized it was red paint!  The paint on him last for a good few weeks... poor guy.


We painted the inside of the shed white (of course!), to make it nice and bright.  Thankfully, Art was able to spray the paint, so it was a quick (and messy) job.


Art used old fence boards for the flooring and window trim, and he added a few old barn windows to let more natural light in.  The door was already a wonderful, chippy white, with glass on the top half, so that was great. 


After we moved the shed into place, Art built a deck on the outside, so we could sit and enjoy the view.  This shed is right close to my garden, so it's got a great view!






The most fun part of doing this shed, for me, was to decorate it.  I didn't buying anything for this shed, but rather, shopped my home and storage room for furnishing it.  The loveseat was given to us when we were first married.  It's not my taste, but I covered it with a drop cloth, and the loveseat looks great. 


I've furnished it with a cabinet, some old egg boxes, books, some antique quilts and lots of candles.



In the fall, Art also put an electric fireplace in here, so that I can enjoy the shed in some of the colder months as well.

All in all, this was a relatively quick project, and it really, really turned out well.  I'm thrilled with the results.