This time of year, I'm always freezing. Free. zing!! It's funny, because come spring, when the weather is like this, and we've survived another Alberta winter, we are outside in shorts and t-shirts. But not in the fall. No ma'am. Right now, I wear 3 layers of clothes (in the house, let alone outside!), am cuddled up under a blanket, and still, my fingers are like ice cubes. In this season, I have a couple of tricks to help combat the freezing-ness of fall.
1. Magic Bag. The first, and most gratifying thing to keep the cold at bay, is, of course, my magic bag. My hubs calls it my "woobie", because I'm like a baby with a special blanket. I can be found curled up on the couch with it. Once it cools down, I bribe one of my girls to warm it up for me again. I'm not gonna lie, even the smell of my magic bag I love (except if it gets nuked for too long and the flax starts to burn....)
2. Slippers. Always and forever. My sister-in-law often crochets me slippers and gives them to me for Christmas, but by this time of year, those have long since worn out. This year, I decided to treat myself to a new pair of moccasins. I've always wanted some, and I decided that now was the time. So I searched high and low until I found the perfect pair...
Truth be told, leaving the house is harder because it means that I have to take these bad boys off. I do love them!
3. Quilts. Already mentioned above.... but they are worth the re-mention. I have quilts scattered around the whole house, and I especially love my flannel quilts. The other day, I found a hand made quilt and Goodwill for $20! You better believe I snatched it up right quick. You can never have too many...
4. Heated blankets. I have a heated blanket on our bed, and I am convinced that whoever invented such a thing was a woman who has survived a long winter on the prairies. There's nothing like climbing into a nice, warm bed!
5. Long underwear. There's no reason to be ashamed....I've worn my long underwear many a times already this year. My motto: Better safe than sorry! I tell my Girls to put theirs on too, if we'll be outside for a long time. It's better to be overdressed rather than underdressed!
5. Mittens. Forget the nice, "sophisticated" leather gloves. Give me mitts any day of the week. I may or may not have 3 (or more!) pairs.... Lined, unlined... you name it. I've got them.
6. Girls. Lots and lots of girls to cuddle with. I've found 4 to be the best number for me, personally... And I especially love these ones!