We've had many, many projects this summer. The biggest project has been building a new chicken mansion to house our new flock of chickens. We looked and looked and researched and researched, and finally ended up deciding to build our own mansion. The first reason was that it was most cost effective to do so, the second reason was that we wanted to be able to build it very specifically to what we wanted. Here is the finished project!
There are a few most details to take care of, but it's pretty much complete. I bought a weather vane to put on top of the mansion, so that'll add to the charm of it!
Right now, we have close to 40 chickens in there. 20 meat birds which will be butchered next week (thank heavens, those things are fat. and ugly!), and then 20 layers. The layers will think that they're living the good life once the meat birds are gone, there will be so much room!
The structure is 10 ft. x 16 ft., so there's lots of room inside to store food and other chicken paraphernalia. We've also put up a fence around the outside for the birds to be outside and get some fresh air, so they're loving that!
The mansion is painted barn red, and it's everything I dreamt it would be!