Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Another New Project

I posted last about the 'wall ripping out' going on in our house....and now, I write about the 'wall going up' in our yard.... For quite some time, Art has been wanting to build the Girls a tree fort/playhouse. Well, he picked up the posts on the weekend, and had a friend (thanks, Darcy!) come and help him dig the post holes and get started on the whole project....he even wrote Art up a material list. Yes, my husband is a woodworker, but he is not a (play)house builder! We spent a good chunk of the weekend outside, getting started. My poor husband.....on Sunday, there were 7 (mostly little) women watching him work, and adding our comments, while he was the only one actually doing anything! Anyhow, on with the story....
Last night, we were putting away laundry, getting caught up on some tidying up. We had mentioned to the Girls that we were going to use our "bottle money" to pay for the playhouse. They argued that the money in the bottle was our "fun money", but we told them that this would be fun. Then, Hannah asked how much this playhouse was going to cost. We told her what we thought, and she immediately seemed a little bit off. A little while later, Art got the bottle to dump the $$ out of to separate and count. I counted the bills, and him and the Girls did the change (suckers!). A little later, after all had been counted, we found an extra $5 bill on top of the pile of bills. It turns out, our sweet Hannah had gone into her piggy bank, and taken her last $5 to contribute to "the Fund". Her and I were talking later, and I asked her what was wrong, as her big beautiful eyes were quite watery....she (of course) said "Nothing." I asked her why she looked like she was going to cry, and she fell into my arms, crying away. Her answer, when pushed a little bit as to why she was crying, was, "Why does the playhouse have to cost so much? Why is wood so expensive?"

When Abby saw Hannah crying, she ran over to Hannah, put her hand on Hannah's arm, and was very concerned as to why she was so sad.....

I felt very blessed and I witnessed this little interchange between them. I pray that we are teaching these little ladies to be sensitive to the needs of those around them.

Later, as Art and I were talking about what had transpired that evening, Art asked if I thought we should have told the Girls how much this playhouse was going to cost. I said "Yes!" I hope that by involving them in some of the details of our lives, they will have a greater appreciation for the things they do have. We shall see.... However, at the end of the day, I do love those little ladies!

No comments: