Wednesday, March 11, 2015

The Going-Ons of Girls

The Girls (usually) love to help.  Some of them love to help with inside chores, they all love to help with outside chores, and they especially love to do things to surprise me....
 
We've been using our fireplaces all winter long.  They've been lovely and warm and cozy, and the girls love to cozy up on the couch in front of a fire and read.  It hasn't necessarily been the Girls' job to stack wood, but they know that if there's wood accessible, and it's extra cold outside, I'm more likely to light a fire.  Many warm(ish) afternoons this winter, the girls could be found hauling wood from the shed to the front door by using their sleds, and then stacking it neatly so that we could easily go and get it to start a fire.  We've almost used up our wood that we cut this fall - this is the last bit of it which the girls' stacked last week.   
 
 
See?  Told ya.... Sitting on the couch in front of the fire.... I have been trying to read books aloud, many days after lunch for a short time.  We've been reading through the Little Britches series, which every one of us has enjoyed.  I am so happy that the girls love to read!
 
On Family Day, we took the Girls' on a little adventure to the Reynolds Museum.  We took them there several years ago for our first Goerzen Family Adventure, and it was fun to go back and visit.  They remembered a few things from the first time, but it's been a few years, so it was fun to go back and for them to see it again, being a bit older.

 
I've said for many years that Molly is my mini-me.  In real life.  She has the same hair, same inappropriate-almost-crossing-the-line humor, same skinny legs that I most definitely had a child.  She is also my "dump buddy".  Every time I have to go to the dump, she wants to come along (even though we no longer get ice cream, since the nearest ice-cream store is half an hour away!).  Last weekend, I was heading out to the dump, and she comes out of her room to come with me....dressed exactly like me.  It wasn't planned, but she sure is cute!
 
 
Here is one thing about Farm Life that I don't love...a child bringing a dead animal into the house, with its' guts hanging out, excited to show me because "it's SO cool!".  Really, I'm happy to look at it outside, will cut it open so we can examine it's insides, but when it comes into my domain, and my second daughter is exclaiming, "Ah!  The guts are stuck on my gloves!", it's just a little too much.  Abby found this weasel, dead, out by the chicken house the other day.  It was just a wee one, but I was glad it was dead - those stinkers will go for my chickens, come spring!  She said she had to fight off the cats and dogs to bring it to me....how nice of her!!


 
The sun.  The trees.  The blue, blue sky.... I don't know that I'll ever tire of this....

 
Art's been working on finishing up some more projects around the house.... God bless that man!  He made up an open shelf for me with barn wood we dug out of one of our outbuildings.  It adds a bit of visual interest in the kitchen, and I'm super happy with it.  Good job, honey! 


No comments: