Saturday, June 20, 2009

Another One Bites the Dust!

Yesterday, we have a bit of an 'incident'. And I dare say, a few of my children may be traumatized from it...

The Girls were outside, playing, and the neighbor boy asked if he could come over to play. I said, "Yes!", and over he came....along with his horse dog, Mikey. Mikey is a bullmastif, and probably weighs 200 lbs. He came trotting over, and got a look at Snowball, one of the new kittens. Well, he allegedly went running towards it, grabbed it in his mouth, threw it up in the air, and caught it again. It was about that time when I heard the Girls screaming, "Mikey! Put it down! Put it down, Mikey! MIKEY!" I went outside, thinking that he had a bone of Moses', but no. It was the kitten. By the time I got outside, the kids had gotten him away from the cat, and I walked over and took a look..... Not much to look at.... It was dead. I sent the girls inside, one of them to get Art, and asked the boys to get their grandpa (that's the owner of the dog/house). He came over right away, took a look, and shot out a couple of unrepeatable expletifs. Thankfully, Art came out then, and I left them, and went inside to see how the Girls were doing. They were sobbing on the couch, three of them, while Ellie Mae just walked around, chattering away. It was Abby's kitten (of course!). After they calmed down a bit, I took them outside to talk to our neighbor, who apologized profusely. They all forgave him, which I was very proud of them for.

One thing that I really appreciated about 'the incident', was that right away, our neighbor offered to shoot the dog. Not that I wanted him to, but it was nice to know that he took this seriously! He is currently looking for another kitten for Abby, and actually came over today to see how the Girls were doing. After this all happened, I thought, "Isn't it funny what circumstances the Lord uses to help us build a relationship with our neighbors?" For the almost 9 yrs. we've lived here, we've not been able to form any sort of relationship with them, but over the past few months, slowly, we've been able to cultivate some sort of relationship. Praise the Lord for that!

Any now you have it....the saga continues in our quest to keep a kitten alive...

No comments: