Monday, April 26, 2010

Weekend Project

Since the weather was pretty yucky this weekend, it gave us the opportunity to finish up a project that was started long ago....the Little Girls Room. We painted it probably a year and a half ago....and here's the finished product!  Well, almost finished...the trim isn't done yet, but will it ever be?  Really, let's be honest!

Art picked up the bedding from Pottery Barn Kids in Vancouver when he was there last June.  I LOVE it!  They are the same quilts, we just chose 2 different duvets and sheets to personalize them a bit.
We bought letters from Michael's to spell each of the girls names on the wall above their beds (in case they forget which bed is theirs!)
The little flower lights are (of course!) from Ikea.  The little table was a $1 find from a garage sale, which I painted, and the book bin (mandatory in a bedroom in our house) is actually a galvanized tin for flowers.  I would love to get a little dresser to fit in between the 2 beds that's a bit higher (the scale would be better), but for now this works.  The dresser/night table will be on my watch list for garage sale-ing this summer!
The beds were made by my most amazing husband using old doors that we found at a local architectural salvage store in the city
Art framed them out since they weren't wide enough, and then I sanded...and sanded....and sanded them.  And then we painted and I sanded some more!  The side rails and 2x12's which are (of course) sanded and painted as well.  I absolutely LOVE the finished product!
Art is going to eventually build a closet organizer, but until then, I tried to pretty up the closet.  There's a little toy box in there, as well as a chair (mandatory for kids getting their own clothes!!), finished off with some white curtains tied with ribbons.  The sign reads "I am a child of God"
We also wanted to have some room for them to play in there, so in lieu of a dresser (and until the closet organizer is finished), we bought rolling rubbermaid containers to put all their clothes in and store under their beds.
This canvas picture I picked up at Winners....it was on clearance for $29 (regularily $100).  Pretty good deal, I'd say!

It was so much fun to finally pull this room all together.  I've been collecting and thinking about the details of this room for quite some time, and it was awfully rewarding to be able to finish it up.  And, best of all, the Little Girls LOVE it....and the Big Girls - they asked if they could sleep in there last night! :-)  Success, my friends, sweet, sweet success! 

1 comment:

Ritz said...

Molly & ElliƩ Mae's room looks great - good job on the beds guys!