Sunday, April 5, 2009

Aaaaah, Sunday!

So...Sunday. Supposed to be great.... not so much! This morning, Molly and Ellie Mae decided that they didn't really want to go to Sunday school. I don't think that they actually thought about it, or talked about it, but they decided. The first time I went to take them, they were off, running to their class. They got in, and there was no one there, so they couldn't stay. So, off we went, back to the sanctuary. We sat in the service for a little while, and I let Ellie Mae play with my iTouch (that was probably my first mistake!), and then, when it was time to go back, she REALLY didn't want to go. She wanted to stay. And play...with me and my iTouch. Molly was fine to go to the class, but Ellie Mae, not so much. I left her, and she screamed bloody murder for about 10 minutes, until I went to check on her, and she just couldn't pull it together. I would like to tell you that I persevered, and didn't give in to her pitching a fit, and made her stay, but I didn't. I decided to give in, and take her into church with me. If I was working in the nursery, I wouldn't have wanted someone else's screaming kid in there, so off we went, into church. Then, when I was leaving, Molly decided she didn't want to stay, so she decided to FREAK OUT when I tried to leave. So, after numerous spankings, she decided it was in her best interests to stay in her class...fairly happily (as happy as she could be after having a sore bum!).

As I was thinking about why I was so frustrated, I realized it was because of my own selfishness. I wanted a couple of hours to myself, to be able to engage in worship, and listen to the sermon. I didn't want a squirmy 2 year old sitting on my lap the whole time! That was not the right attitude to have. I shouldn't see my children as a distraction from church, but rather, a time of teaching and training for them as well...if for nothing else, a training time for sitting still and quiet (you can't really expect that much more from a 2 yr. old!). I am sure a lot of their issues this morning were also my fault in that we were out late last night (I don't think they were in bed, asleep, until about 10 pm). So, what can I really expect from two little people? Sure, they were pitching a fit, and didn't want to go to Sunday school, but I don't think that I really helped the issue with my impatience with them, and having them up late the night before.

Often times, when I am frustrated with my Girls, I need to stop and examine my own heart. Why am I frustrated? Because I was put out, or had to do more than I wanted to, or something didn't go my way? Because I was being selfish, or pitching a fit, in my own adult way? Those attitudes I can easily spot in my Girls, but how often do I really spot them in myself? Or want to spot them..... I am often amazed at how God entrusted us with these children, and yes, we are to train them and bring them up to love the Lord, but what is He using THEM to do in our lives? It's kind of a two way street, if you ask me....

1 comment:

Shawna said...

I like this post...great perspective Teresa!