Thursday, April 23, 2009

Portrait of the Ladies


Of course you know that we have 4 daughters. But something you may not know is the importance we place on training them to be ladies. I know, sometimes I may not be the most lady-like woman you've ever met, but this is something I want my daughters to have experience with. I want them to be ladies - well mannered, polite, kind, etc. However, saying that has this connotation that then they will be walked all over by people. I believe you can be a lady, and still be firm and tough, but do it with class.


I always say that if Art didn't open the car door for me on our first date, there wouldn't have been a second date... He doesn't like that much (he believes he would've still won me over, which is probably true!), and it's not about the actual opening of the door, but rather, the heart behind it. We are trying to teach our girls that chivalry isn't dead! Art always gives them a hand to help them out of the van (if he forgets, they will actually stand there and wait, saying "Dad.....!"), opens doors for them, and generally treats them like little ladies. And he does the same for me. We want them to learn that they can expect to be treated in a certain way - not in a stuck up, snobby way, but in a "I am worth it" kinda way. We want them to have high standards when it comes to how men will (one day) treat them. And if we aren't teaching this to them, where will they learn it? Obviously, there is more to this than just opening car doors, but I'll save that for another day.


We have been watching a show lately which I love. It's called Millionaire Matchmaker. The matchmaker, Patty, is awesome. She talks often about boundaries in dating, and is constantly telling her 'matchees' how to treat others. The quote of the day, which I absolutely love, is this: "Women want gentlemen. They don't want men who are trash talking ***holes!" So, true, Patty, so true! (I know that wasn't a very lady like thing to say, but it had to be said!)


So, here's to raising my little ladies into real ladies....and here's to you to teach your sons how to treat my ladies!

No comments: