Wednesday, June 22, 2011

A Whole New Level

So, our chicks are definitely not chicks anymore.  They're teen-chicks (that's the technical term!).  And, although they've finally grown out of the gangly awkward phase, they aren't yet full grown.  They're....teenagers.

So the other day, we thought that it was about time to introduce them to the older laying hens.  So, we studied up (Raising Chickens for Dummies, of course!), and put them together in the chicken run. 





We watched them fairly carefully for the first hour, and then came back and regularly checked on them.  They spent the night together, and we were quite proud - there didn't seem to be any real pecking or picking on of the teens from the hens.  A few flapping feathers, for sure, but nothing worth even worrying about. 

Finally, after they'd been together well over a day, I had to head out for the afternoon and evening.  So, off I went.  When we came home, and I went to put the Girls (chicken Girls not children Girls) to bed, we saw it.  A teen chick, who had been pecked to death.  And let me tell you, it gave a whole new level of visualization to the term "hen pecked". 

We decided to separate them (immediately!), and figured that perhaps we should wait a bit before trying to introduce them again.  I get the whole "survival of the fittest" and all, but really?  Did they have to peck the chick to death?  There was also another one whose head wasn't looking so great....in fact, it was a bloody mess, so hopefully that heels up alright so that we don't have to cremate another bird.  Bah!  Crazy chickens!

We were talking about the phrase "hen pecked", and the Girls were asking what it meant, so we explained it.  And it was a very good visual reminder that I really don't want to have a "hen pecked husband".  I don't want him to be (theoretically) laying there, still and dead, because he's been so beaten down by me, his wife.  I am the one to be his biggest fan, his cheerleader, his safe place, not the one to kick him when he's down, nagging and pecking at him constantly until it's the death of him.  And so, I shall not.  I will be his life giver, not life taker.  And that's the end of my soap box thought for the day.

Incidentally, some of you may be wondering what the Girls reactions were to the dead chicken. 
Here's a few comments we heard....

"Can I see the dead chicken?"
"Ah well, at least we have 14 more...."
"You burned it?  Cool!  I wish I could've seen that!"
"You did separate them again, right?"

I'm glad to see that we haven't scarred them too much....yet!

No comments: