Sunday, November 20, 2011

Something Old....

Irene, this one's for you....!

I recently, by way of default, I inherited Art's Grandmother's dishes.  I saw by way of default because Art's aunt had them, who then gave them to his sister, who then gave them to me.  But that's ok...I'm not complaining!

They've been living in our new kitchen island, so I get to look and them everyday, and enjoy their beauty (that, and they match my kitchen!!)


Well, the Girls asked if we could please use them for Thanksgiving Dinner, which I of course said, "Most definitely, Yes!"....and it didn't hurt that I knew my sister-in-law would be here for dinner and most likely wash the dishes, since they don't go in the dishwasher....

So, the Girls set the table beautifully....

 And then we ate beautiful food....
And it was good.  I love taking something old, especially something with as much sentimental value as dishes, and passing down the tradition to my Girls.  Seeing how we have 4 Girls, I've been given 2 sets of dishes - one set that Art's family used when he was a wee boy, and one from his Grandmother.  2 more sets to go, and then each of my Girls will be covered!

2 comments:

lindakatee said...

Beautiful dishes. How old are they, and are they bone china? Nice table setting. I love the old dishes.

The Goerzen Girls...and Art said...

I did some research, and this pattern is called "Lorna" by Johnson Bros. I would think that they are at least 50 years old... That's all I know!