Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Bread

I love bread.  Love it!  My kids love bread...my husband loves bread.... really, who doesn't?!

Anyhow, I've recently made a few new kinds of bread, and they have been wonderful!

First of all, I found a recipe on pinterest which was AMAZING!

I made French Bread, and then brushed it with garlic butter and cut slices about 3/4's of the way through about an inch apart.  Then, I brushed it with garlic butter again, in each of the slices, and put Havarti cheese in each cut.  Back in the oven it went until the cheese had just melted.  Oh my goodness!  It was delicious....my Girls called it "dessert bread".   It was also be so, so good with ham put in their too, and served with salad or soup.

 The next new bread I made was buttermilk biscuits.  They were pretty darn good too...especially warm and flaky, just out of the oven!

Lastly, this past week I attempted sourdough bread.  First, I made the starter, which sat on my counter for 4 days....and I'm not gonna lie.  I was a little bit scared!  Then, in the fridge it went (where my jar runneth over....all over my fridge!  Thankfully I have glass shelves!).  Then, I finally baked it...which took almost a full day to complete that process.  Although it seemed a little bit involved, it really wasn't - just something to work into my routine.

Here is the final outcome...
It was fairly yummy, I'm not gonna lie.  And the best part is that the starter sits in my fridge, needing to be "fed" once a week, and is ready and waiting for the next time I make bread. 

It's been a whole new world at our house, friends.  Well, not really....just lots and lots of yummy bread.