Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Rookie Mistake

This past weekend, we made it out to a garage sale.  Despite the Girl with a (mild fever) and pouring rain, we still made it.  Rain jackets and all... But let me tell you, I was not on my game.  There were a few things that I would've liked to bid on, and while they were being auctioned off, I kinda just watched it happen.  Not bidding, and then kicking myself when they went for $5!  Really.....$5!  Who knows if I would've gotten them, but I should've at least bid! 

What I was most excited about was a big box of flour sacks.  I found some a number of years ago at a garage sale, and bought them all.  I ended up making pillows with them, which I love, and have been looking for more ever since.  And, bingo, there they were.  The auctioneer had said that he was going to sell a pile of stuff in front of the building that they were in, and then head around to another part of the farm.  So, I thought we should walk over and see what was coming up in the auction.  That, was my fateful move.  My rookie mistake!  I should've known that you never know what's gonna happen!

By the time we looked around and ended up back at the pile, they'd cleaned out the building with my beloved box.  And we were only gone for maybe 10 minutes!!

I'm not gonna lie, I was fairly disgusted with myself.  I ended up speaking with the lady who bought them.  I asked her what she paid.  You wanna know?  It still kinda makes me sick..... $5.00!  Something that I've been looking for for years and years went for five measly dollars.  Bah!  She ended up selling me 5 of the flour bags for $10, which isn't bad....but not great when I could've bought the whole box!

I keep saying to myself, "Really, what would I want with a whole box of them....I don't need that many....", but unfortunately, it's not helping me feel better!  I should've known better....it was definitely a rookie mistake and this seasoned auction attender should've known better.  However, I'm trying to be thankful for the sacks I did end up with.  Now I'll have to wait until fall to sew the pillows...no time these days with all my outdoor projects I have going on!

No comments: