Monday, December 10, 2012

Grandpa's Caramel Corn

When I was a little girl, my grandparents all lived in Manitoba.  Every summer, and often at Christmas, we'd load up the car and drive out to visit them.  My Mom's parents farmed out there, and my Dad's parents lived in town.  My Grandpa on my Dad's side was known by his family for 2 things.  The first was his oatmeal.  Every morning, he'd have oatmeal for breakfast.  IF you were lucky enough to wake up in time to have oatmeal with him, he'd let you put on as much brown sugar as you wanted.  That was a huge treat!  The second thing my grandpa was know for, was the maker of caramel corn.  I think every time we went to visit, he'd always send us home with his caramel corn.  It was a huge treat, and highlight of the visit.  Later on in his life, he had cancer, but I remember hearing stories of him being in the hospital, and when he was released, he made caramel corn for the nurses who took care of him while he was in the hospital.
 
Every Christmas, I haul up the hot air popper, and make some of my Grandpa's caramel corn.  I don't know why this only happens at Christmas, frankly.... but that's the way she goes.  Perhaps this year, I'll make it in the Spring too, just to take a walk on the wild side!
 
Last night, while the Girls were decorating their little Christmas trees, I thought I'd make this special treat.
 
Here's the recipe:
 
Grandpa's Caramel Corn
 
Pop 2 pails (ice cream pails, that is) of popcorn

 
In a pot, combine
2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. corn syrup
1 tsp. salt
1 c. butter
 
Bring to a boil and let simmer for 5 minutes.  DO NOT STIR!  Add the following:
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla
 
 

Stir and pour over the popcorn, mixing gently until covered.  Spread the covered popcorn on cookie sheets and bake at 200F for 1 hr.

 
After it's done baking, I let it cool a bit and store it in ice cream pails in the freezer.  I find that if I "hide" it in the freezer, it lasts more than 2 days.... if I'm lucky.
 
It's hard to have this yumminess sitting on the counter without munching at it a bit, so last night, only about a pail and a half made it to the freezer.  Oh well, I suppose it's better than nothing! 
 
 

No comments: