Friday, December 7, 2012

Really, Mom? Really?

The  Day has come.  It's a day that I knew would come, however, I thought that it would be further into the future... But alas.  It is here.  And it's official:  My kids are smarter than me.

I have memories of a child of me telling my mother, numerous times, how to set the timer on the VCR.  She would want to tape something, and didn't quite remember how to do it.  So she would ask me.  And in my child-mind, I would think, "Really Mom?  Really?  This isn't rocket science...."  And I am positive that my Girls now think the same about me.

We were driving home from Montana, and once we hit Calgary, it started to get cold.  Like, really cold.  -20C cold.  And the back windows on the van had totally fogged up, and were, in fact, iced up.  The Girls couldn't see a darn thing through them.  Art and I had tried everything to get them clear, and I think the Girls were having trouble breathing, it got so dang hot back there.  But, to no avail.  Finally, Molly pipes up, "Mom, if you would just take the lock off, I'm sure I'll be able to fix it."

Art and I look at each other knowingly...."Mmmm hmmm, ya right.  You go for it Molly.... I'm sure you know best" (not sarcastic. at all.  After all, don't all 7 yr. olds know everything about vans?)

Molly fiddles with her knob back there, and wonder of all wonders, within 5 minutes, the windows are clear and dry.  And I think to myself, "Really?  Really Teresa?  This surely isn't rocket science...."

Let me tell you friends, this is only one of the many ways my Girls are smarter than me.  Hannah knows how to turn on those smiley faces on my phone (I think they're called emojicons?).  I have no idea.  Abby knows all the shortcuts on the remote for the tv.  I have no idea.  Even Ellie Mae, who's 5, can beat me at games on my iPhone.   "Really Mom?  Really?   I know this isn't rocket science...."

Ahh, the circle of life.  Isn't it a bugger?!

No comments: