Tuesday, January 29, 2013

More Reno's

When we bought this house 12 years ago, I never dreamed of all the work that'd we'd put into it to make it how it looks today.  And that's just the main level!
 
Upstairs, off our master bedroom, we used to have a hot tub.  The hot tub was in the "hot tub room", which was actually originally a balcony that the previous owners closed in.  It had a skylight, which leaked (into the hot tub), and a roof, which leaked (into the hot tub room), and a hot tub, which leaked (into the garage).  So, we took out the skylight, redid the roof and added a dormer, took out the hot tub, and are finally getting around to fixing up the room.
 
The room had cedar clad walls and ugly tile, minus a big hole where the hot tub was.  We've used that room for Art's office, for a nursery for a bit, and most recently, as a room where junk collects.  So, after years and years, we put our money where our mouth was and started.  First, we ripped up all the tile, and then had to rip up the sub floor under the tile to make sure that we get the floor to our bedroom even.  Then, we took all the cedar off the walls.  Then, we took off all the plywood from the walls, and then, the insulation.  Of course, this happened to be during a week when it was -30, so our bedroom, I'm sure, was a good -10!  Good thing for my heated blanket... (I love that thing!)  Our electrician came and put in all that stuff, and then, we quickly closed it back up so that our noses wouldn't get frostbite while we sleep.  After that, we polyed the walls, put down a thinner sub floor and this weekend, we finally got to the drywall stage!
 
After gazing  on an ugly plywood wall right before I go to sleep, and first thing in the morning, I was quite excited to see this happen!


I know it doesn't look like much, but in my mind, the finished product is gonna rock this world!  I was helping Art until it was time to make dinner, and then, it seems, I lost my job.  Ellie Mae came in and took it.  When I went back upstairs, she was Art's special little helper, and she was quite certain that I was there to be her assistant.  Umm, I don't think so!  She was very intent on handing Art screws, and organizing the screws, and standing on the chair looking quite busy and important...

 
Good thing for her, though, because I got to go back downstairs and sit on my butt and eat bon bons.  The story of my life....
 
This weekend, I'm hoping that we'll (you see that I say "we", but really, I mean "Art!) get the drywall finished and then have our friend, who just happens to be a mudder come and make the drywall look good.  After that?  It's emptying our entire upstairs so that the carpet can be replaced.  Won't that be a fun job!  Anyone want to come for a visit and do stairs?

1 comment:

Cheyenne said...

Whoo hoo! Love that you are taking pictures along the way and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that there is a lil' girl, who is pretty much a big girl..who loves to help her daddy. That is too darn cute. I bet Art soaked it up.