Sunday, June 8, 2008

Landscaping

We were wanting to do some landscaping at our place. Well, not some, but a lot! We knew that all the prep work would take FOREVER! As we walked around our place, and I dreamt about what I would like to do, my friend Natalie and I talked it over (she's the landscaping guru) and decided on a plan. A big plan. Art was totally overwhelmed at what all needed to happen in order to plant some perrineals. The next morning, Natalie called me with some amazing news. The college and career group from their old church (they now attend our church) like to do service projects, and after Natalie told them about us, they decided they wanted to come and help do our stuff here. So, today was the day. Some of the group came last night to camp out here (in our basement, since it was raining). We woke up to overcast skies, and got to work around 9 am. There was about 15 people in all working like dogs. To help us, total strangers. What a blessing it was! We had a wish list of things to get done, and everything plus more is all done. Everything. Can you believe it? Here are the before pictures:





I will post some after pictures in the next few days. All t he grunt work is done (Thanks, guys!), and now the really fun work begins of actually planting all our shrubs and flowers.

As I was pondering the day, in my special 'pondering place', where it is quiet and I have a little bit of privacy, sometimes, (the shower), God showed me a little something. Landscaping our home is a lot like what God is doing in our lives right now....landscaping. He's cutting out the old and overgrown to replace it with new life. As Natalie was trying to convince me to cut down and prune the majority of an old, large tree which I love (and yes, I finally gave in!), I didn't realize how terrible it looked until it was gone. Now, it is bright, and you can see the true beauty of the tree, instead of all the overgrown stuff. What is in our lives right now that God want to take out? Something of beauty, most of which we cannot see because we have let it become overgrown and almost out of control.... And what does he totally want to remove, roots and all, to replace it with fresh new life?

And who is He using for this landscaping in our lives? Some friends, definately, but also complete strangers! People who don't know me, but who desire to be a tool that the Lord uses in the lives of others. Crazy, isn't it?

No comments: