Thursday, February 11, 2010

The (Almost) First Thing


This jam cupboard is the (almost) first thing that Art made for me when we were first married. I say almost, because when we were engaged, and he was still working at the woodworking shop, he made me a sleigh bed. But this jam cupboard is the first thing that he made for me when we were married. He used a hand saw to cut it, sanded it by hand, and I think we painted it three times to get the color I wanted. We first used it for our dishes, and then, I actually had canning in it. I think at one point I also used it for quilts...Now, it sits in our basement. And I just can`t bring myself to get rid of it!


This week, we had the basement framing finished. And, I am embarrassed to say, we took a (full and overflowing!) load to Goodwill, and three loads to the dump....and we still need to take one more load. I can`t believe all the junk we had in there! As we were going through everything down there, I did manage to rid of our claw foot tub (only because it was too short for us giants here!), the wood stove (thanks, kijii!), and I am still trying to get rid of a sideboard. But I couldn't bring myself to get rid of the jam cupboard! To me, it`s a memory thing.... Now that Art has a shop, and many, MANY more tools, he still makes me lots of stuff, but somehow, it`s different. So, what I think I am going to do it paint it white...chicken wire and all, and then it`ll fit great in my house....somewhere.
I would like to believe that one day, one of The Girls will want some of these things...but who knows for sure. For now, I will slap on another coat of paint, and I`m fairly sure I can`t find someplace to put it.

No comments: