Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Going once, going twice....SOLD!

This past Saturday, Art was working on finishing up a job about an hour away, out in the country.  He asked us to come for a drive to say hello to him.  So, we all piled in the van, picked up Slurpee's, and went to break up his day a little bit.  On the way home, I saw a sign for a farm auction not 2 miles off the highway.  We, of course, HAD to stop in to take a little gander to see what was being sold.  The Girls, of course, weren't really dressed for the weather (flip flops, no jackets....you know, the usual), but we walked around for a little while anyway.  After we looked, I moved the van so it was where I could see them, and sat in on the auction for a bit.

Let me start this by saying that I am always on the lookout for cool new (read: old) things for around the house, and especially to put my flowers in.  While I was standing listening to the old farmers talk, I saw this lovely little chicken feeder coming up.  I thought in my head, "Now THAT would be great for flowers, or even as a little conversation piece.  I would pay $20 for it."  The auctioneer started, and no one was bidding, so they threw in 4 HUGE coils of chicken wire, which I definitely DID NOT want.  I started bidding, and so did another man.  I went up to him and asked if he wanted the chicken wire - because if he did, then let's not big against each other.  He, however, only wanted the feeder.  So, we continued to bid against each other.  Eventually, he succumbed, and I won!  Hip, hip, hooray!  He did come up to me after and offer to take the chicken wire in his truck to his brothers place, who was a farmer, for which I was very thankful....it would've never fit in my van!  Here is my new prized masterpiece!





I think that it will look fantastic filled to the brim with pansies, perhaps?  Or maybe even garland with lights on it at Christmas?  Right now it's sitting outside (filled with snow, I might add), but I will decide what to do with it soon.  And the best part about this?  It only cost me $4!! 

I really wanted to stay for the antiques, but by that time, we'd already been there for 2 hrs., and The Girls were ready to get going, so I very, very sadly decided to head out.  However, I did get the auctioneers catalogue of upcoming sales, so hopefully I'll make some more this summer.  Oh, how I love a good farm auction!

1 comment:

stephanie said...

That's awesome! I'm never gutsy enough to stop at something like that.