Friday, May 14, 2010

Grain Sacks

I have always loved the look of grain sacks, but have never found them in our neck of the woods. Last summer, while I was out garage sale-ing, I ended up at a farm sale, where the children of a (very) elderly lady were selling everything off the farm. This woman had lived there for 70 years, and she had to be moved to a home. In talking with her children, one of her son-in-laws walked me around the property and opened up all the out buildings for me to take a look at. In one of them, they had stacks of grain sacks, all bundled together. I didn't want to seem too eager, but asked if they were for sale. He said, "Sure", and sold me 2 stacks of sacks for $5. Each stack had probably 5-6 grain sacks in them, and some of them had been mended even. I took them home, washed them, and promptly made a bunch of pillows with them. Here is
the one that has been mended, which you can see in the top, left corner.

 

Today, I was thinking about making some more pillows from grain sacks, so I took a little look on eBay to see if I could find any. Let me tell you....I found some alright, but they were all being sold for anywhere from $40-$90....for ONE sack....with NO pillow even! Crazy!! Needless to say, I didn't bid on any! I'll just have to keep my eyes open for some more this summer as I garage sale. I especially love this pillow below, which has what the bags were used for, and where it was made.

If any of you have a line on where I can find more of these lovely ladies (for a reasonable price), please let me know!!  My couches will thank you!

2 comments:

lindakatee said...

Wow Teresa: You have a ton of talent...I love it...You are so ingenious...I will keep my eyes open for you if I see anything in my travels that you might like...

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

You are very talented! I know the grainsacks are expensive when you find them. Thanks for stopping by my blog.
Enjoy your day
Kristin