Friday, March 11, 2011

The Colony

We've been in the process of researching the idea of buying chickens - both for eggs and meat.  Part of that involves getting a chicken coop.  The other day, I found one on kijiji (I love that site!), and we decided we'd go and take a look at it.  The man that Art spoke with told him where to go, and we headed out, excited and ready for an adventure.  Well, let me tell you - adventure is what we had! 

We got to the place and quickly realized that it was a Hutterite colony, which I always find very interesting.  We had a number of men take us around and show us all the sheds and building that they build there.  Then, we of course asked if they had any eggs, and ended up bringing 10 dozen freshly laid eggs home.


I would've brought more money had I realized that we were going to end up at a colony, because they also offered us chickens (freshly butchered), potatoes, and corian countertops.  I know, one of these things is not like the other.....

In the course of our conversation, they thold us they had bought a corian countertop shop in the city, and in the back of their shop, was a brand new, top of the line, C&C machine.  I've gotta give it to these guys - they always seem to have the latest and greatest in technology!  Art, of course, was very interested in seeing all of that, and they were excited to hear that we do kitchen cabinets!  Who knows - we may be seeing more of these guys!

By the time we were done "the tour", I think there were about 8 men and 1 boy hanging around, each one ready to show us their own area of expertise.  It was very interesting to hear and see more about how these people live and work.  They all work for the good of the community, which I love, and I think it something that we have lost over time, in our haste to be independent...

Oh, and when we're ready, here's a picture of what our chicken coop will look like.  They are even going to insulate it, put in the coops for us, and deliver it.  Yay, Hutterites!  Maybe they'll even bring some chickens to live in the coop!

No comments: