Monday, December 19, 2011

Uncle Arthur

When I was a little girl, we had these books that I loved, filled with "Bedtime Stories" (by the way, what constitutes a bedtime story?  Is it just a story?  Or does it have to have something in particular?).  These books were older when I was little....

Before I was even pregnant with Hannah, I was at a thrift store, and I found these same bedtime story books.  Of course, I bought them all on the spot, because, if memory serves me correct, I asked my Mom if I could have ours, as they were still somewhere around their house, and she said, "Nope!"

Anyhow, I bought them, all 20 (I think) volumes.  And let me tell you, it was some of the best $25 I've ever spent! 

The Girls just cleaned up and organized all their books in the basement, and found these bedtime stories once again.  Tonight, Ellie Mae is home sick (again!), so I laid in bed with her, cuddling, and she had one of these beauties, so we read a few stories.  And I STILL love them!  The pictures are very retro, and the stories are great - they are deal with different morals (for example, the one we read tonight was Peter's Pockets, or something like that...).  I looked in the cover of the book tonight, and they are copyrighted in 1964, but were originally written in 1928, so I guess I must have the updated version....haha!


Anyhow, all that to say, I LOVE Uncle Arthur's Bedtime Stories.  Still.  Loved them when I was a kid...love reading them to my kids.  It brought warm fuzzies to my heart!


Incidentally, wanna hear something CRAZY?!  I just looked online to find a picture of one of these nostalgic books, and I stumbled across this picture....on eBay.  The whole series, just like I have.  Wanna know how much it was going for?  $1500!  Oh.  My.  Goodness.  Maybe I need to not let my Girls read these books, and sell them instead!  Or maybe not...I love them too much for them not to enjoy them as much as I did when I was a girl.

 So there you have it.  Uncle Arthur Rocks!

No comments: