Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Thanksgiving is Coming...

....and the turkeys got fat.  So we butchered them!
 
 

This morning, for school, I had the Girls journal about what they are thankful for.  It was interesting what their answers were: family, friends, chickens, turkeys, lots of room to run around outside...
 
And I was reminded, once again, at how my actions and attitude affect these little ladies.  They parrot what I do and say, my heart attitudes, things I am cranky about, dreams I have for our lives, and what I am thankful for.  It runs over onto them.  And I need to check myself constantly to see what I am putting on these Girls.  What am I teaching them to be thankful for.  I am content with where I am at?  Or am I always wanting something more.  Am I choosing to rejoice in all circumstances?  Or am I getting through the circumstances, grumbling and complaining along the way.  I know what I would like to say....that I am always thankful.  But I know, if I'm being honest, that I'm not always thankful.  That I do complain and grumble.  And I don't really want to be that woman.  Nor do I want my children to be those children, who are never content with what they do have, but are always wanting more.... And so, I fight.  I fight myself and my carnal, sinful nature of wanting more.  I choose to be content.  I choose to have joy.  I choose life.
 
In the past year, I read the book, "One Thousand Gifts", by Ann Voskamp, and I'm not gonna lie, it really challenged me.  Challenged me to not only have an attitude of gratitude, but also, to do something tangible about it.  So, I bought my Girls and I gratitude journals.  They are all in the middle of the kitchen, where they can easily reach them, and they write in them whenever they want.
 
 
 I help Ellie Mae by writing what she wants first, and then she copies it down underneath.  It's very cool and humbling to look back over the past year, and see what God has done, and how we have so very much to be thankful for!
 
Be joyful always. 
Pray continually;
GIVE THANKS IN ALL CIRCUMSTANCES, fir this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus
1 Thessolonians 5:16-18
 
Thanksgiving is coming.... but let's not only be thankful in this season, but always.  Continually.  Because thankfulness breeds joy.  And joy breeds life.  And I choose life.

No comments: