Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Abby's Baptism

A couple of weeks ago, when Art was tucking The Girls into bed, Abby asked Art to read her a story in the bible - "from page 1024" (or something like that). Art started reading, and it was all about John the Baptist. So, up came the topic of baptism. Art explained what it was, and Abby asked if she could be baptized.
"Yup!", said Art, and then he asked her if she wanted him to do it.
"Yup!" was her reply.
The next week at church, Art asked the man in charge of such things when there was going to be a baptism service, and if he could baptize her. It turns out, the service was to be the very next Sunday.
I must admit, I was a little apprehensive about her being only 7 when she was baptized, because I want her to remember this forever, since it is a public declaration of her decision to live for Jesus, but my biggest obstacle in my thinking was, "How can I say no to my daughter who knows that baptism is obeying God?". So, alas, the decision was made.
Art was able to baptize her, and I must admit, it was a very proud and emotional moment for me. A moment that we've been dreaming of since the Girls were born. She was the first one to be baptized, and didn't seem nervous at all. She proclaimed her love for Jesus, and desire to obey Him in being baptized. What a special thing to watch Art 'do the deed'! Now, three more to go! Here are a few pictures of the day.

We couldn't really see her being dunked, but she was....here's Art's head (exciting, I know!)



1 comment:

Ritz said...

Grandpa and I are so proud of you Abby and God is pleased!