Monday, March 8, 2010

If these walls (or things) could talk...

Something that I love about the things in my home is the idea that there are stories behind them. So, I thought that I would take a few pictures of some of those things that I know the stories of, and over the next few weeks (or months), post the picture with the story. So, here is the first one:

This is a barn door that we took off of a barn right close to our home. For years I admired the barn, which has been sitting empty. One day, my hubby was driving by, and saw a truck in the yard. He stopped, and asked what they were doing with the barn. The farmer said that it was going to be ripped down the very next day, and we were free to take whatever we wanted from there. So, he called me, and I came out and we picked a bunch of stuff out of the barn. This door was up in the hayloft, and he had to climb up about 15 feet and bang on the hinges from the side. When the last one was ready to give, we prayed that the door wouldn't swing over to the side that he was precariously balanced on and knock him off his little post, but that it would just fall to the ground. Thankfully, that's just what happened. We then had to drag this door down the tiny little stairs, which were not big enough, and we ended up having to cut out the floor (which wasn't a big deal because of the demo that was happening the next day) to get it out of the hayloft.

We brought the door home (as well as a few other treasures!), and had it sitting outside for probably close to 2 yrs. until we did our reno and had the perfect spot for it. The hardware isn't original - since it was not a sliding door. We picked up this hardware at UFA, and oh my, was it shiny! My ingenious husband bought some gun metal bluing stuff, and used that to give it a bit more of an aged look.

This is one of my favorite things in my home.... When we are having large groups of people over, I will often close the door, since Hannah & Abby's bedroom is on the main level, to keep it a bit quieter for them.

The crazy thing is that we didn't even have to modify this door at all...it fit perfectly in this spot.

1 comment:

Cheyenne said...

ARE YOU SERIOUS? um, nine hundred shades of AWESOME!!!