Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Prairies

I got in touch with an old friend this week who is moving with his family to Saskatoon.  From the coast.  That's a big move....we've done it (well, we only made it to Alberta, but you know what I mean!).  As I was writing back an update to him, telling him that's we've made the move to the prairies as well, I was reminded, once again, of how I love it here! 

Growing up in the Vancouver area, we were used to beauty.  We had the Rocky Mountains (beautiful!), the Pacific Ocean (beautiful!), and could never image leaving our family and friends (beautiful!).  However, God had other plans for us.... and here we sit.  In Alberta.  Small(er) town Alberta, none the less.  I must admit, when we did the deed, and moved here, I felt like I had finally come home.  For years, Art and I had dreamed about living in a smaller town, where the pace of life was a little less hectic.  In fact, we used to have a "mantra" that we would chant when driving around Abbotsford... "Small town mentality...small town mentality..." to keep us from going crazy with those drivers.  We moved here, and fell in love with the beauty of this part of our vast country.  Seeing the sunrises and sunsets....the northern lights....acres and acres of wheat and hay and canola fields...pastures of cows...and hay bales.   We had the opportunity to move back to the coast numerous times, but we just couldn't bear to leave this land we love.  It's like it was in our blood!   We felt like we had moved to Eden.  We would find stuff on the side of the road ALL the time (a bungee strap is a bungee strap, people!), we build some amazing relationships with people that accepted us and loved us (which, after now knowing us for 10 yrs., some of them still love us!), we bought a home in the country, with a shop....something that we could only dream of, at that point.... I don't know....it was just right. 

Even now, after we've been away from home, when we drive back into Alberta, I always have a big sigh, and think, "I'm so thankful to be home!".  Enjoy some pictures of the place I call "home".





2 comments:

lindakatee said...

Great photos. Did you or Art take them? Yes, Alberta is beautiful. Glad you are in love with it.

The Goerzen Girls...and Art said...

Neither of us took the pictures, so I won't take credit! :-)