Thursday, January 5, 2012

New Years

This New Year's Eve was seriously uneventful for us!  We were supposed to have friends over, but Art had been sick all week, and ended up with a migraine, so we had to cancel at the last minute...so sad!  It was a quiet night....the Girls and I had eggs for dinner.  There wasn't a lot of hoopla!  However, we were preparing...for New Year's Day!

When I was a girl, my parents often had New Year's Parties.  We had a bunch of families over, would go tubing on the mountain...lots and lots and lots of fun!

This year, we decided to do our own version of a sledding party.
We invited a few families over (who, incidentally, all have many children.  I think there were 22 kids in all, the oldest one being 13!)  Since we don't have much snow, and it's been super warm (for Alberta, that is!), I was a little unsure as to how it would go, but out we went, down our 'driveway of death' - it really is a skating rink!!, up our little hill, and man, was it fun!  The kids have been sledding a fair amount, so it's nice and slick and icy, with no new snow, means fast, fast sledding!  Us Mom's were wondering how many children would get run over, and although some did, I don't believe there were any broken bones, blood shed, or tears (ok, maybe not MANY tears....)

It was great, great fun!






After sledding, we headed inside for some chili and hot apple cider, and visited for a few hours.  It was great to catch up with friends that we haven't seen in a while, and enjoy the beautiful day together!  I am thinking that this might be a new New Year's tradition.... We'll have to see what next year brings!


 We also had the puzzle that we started working on at Christmas time, still unfinished, set out, so I was thankful that some felt compelled to work on it.  To me, it's 2000 pieces of misery.  Pure misery!  Have I mentioned?!  I stink at puzzles.  Something about having to have patience.  Hmmm....!
    

2 comments:

Wendy said...

I just found your blog and I really enjoy reading your entries! You are a very talented writer, the way you talk about your life turning it into a beautiful story that one wants to just keep on reading. Thank you for sharing your family and your gift!
God's Peace
-Wendy

The Goerzen Girls...and Art said...

Thanks so much! Hope you continue to enjoy it!