Thursday, February 12, 2009

A first

Today, I took the little girls over to a friends house for a bit of a playdate. Not a big deal, really, to anyone....but the girls. Not Ellie Mae (she's fairly oblivious still!), but Molly. And Olivia (her friend). Both girls have been...longing....to play together. This is a fairly new friendship for the two of them - they only played for the first time a few weeks ago. But since then, I think they've both been living in expectation of the next time. Which was today. It took a little while, but they found their groove. Just before we were going to leave (of course!).

So, Olivia's Mom asked if Molly could stay for the afternoon. Normally, Molly still naps, but as I thought about it, I thought of what I would want to do. If I had a friend that asked if I could come and play, even though I was tired, I would still go and play. It's what I love to do....play! So, Molly got to stay for the afternoon and hang out. Man, was she excited. As I left, I realized that it's the first time she's got to go, away from me, and play with a friend. She has a friend! How fun for her!

How I hope that she grows up, surrounded by friends who love her, and whom she loves. Friends that will be there for the good times, to have fun and play, but also when things get a bit tougher. Friends who she can lean on, and love, and who tell her maybe what she doesn't want to hear, but what she needs to hear. Friends who love her! That is one of the (many) things I wish for her.

No comments: