Saturday, February 7, 2009

Hittin' it out of the Park!

I've always wanted to be the 'fun Mom' who takes her kids to do fun stuff. However, after having 4 babies, I often think I don't have much fun left in me....until this morning. I was a fun Mom! First of all, Hannah & Abby had a dance thing at the church. A couple of girls in their early twenties decided they wanted to do sort of a worship dance workshop (that's really the only way I can describe it) for young girls in grade 1-4. So, I dropped the older two off...Abby so excited she could bearly sit still, and Hannah so nervous and cautious she could barely move - what a combination!

Then, I took the littler girls with me to do some errands. We were all done our errands with another 45 min. to go, and Molly begged, "Can we PLEASE go to Home Depot?!" (Do you think she spends much time with her dad?!) I had no better ideas of how to waste some time, so I said, "Sure." We walk into Home Depot, and walk around a bit....looking at carpet, tiles, rugs, until...we see the "Kids Workshop" sign. They had a kids craft/workshop going on, and asked the girls if they wanted to do a project. Molly immediately said yes. They put a bright orange apron on the girls, wrote their names on them, and away they went! They screwed, hammered (scared!) and put together a mini football goalpost. Both Ellie Mae and Molly had so much fun! Before we left, I asked if I could get a couple more aprons for the older girls, which they so willingly gave, and we were on our way to pick up the older girls.

All four girls had such a fun morning...none of it involved me actually doing anything other than make them available to have fun. Interesting, isn't it? I think that's sometimes how God works... he doesn't want us to DO anything, but rather, just be available...

All in all, I think it was a great morning.... I was Fun Mom! Hooray!

Ooh - one last thing. Both Hannah & Abby wore their Home Depot aprons to alone time, and Abby asked if they could play 'Home Depot' after alone time. Yup, it hit it out of the park today!

1 comment:

Shawna said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this post T. Such truth about being available...so relate to the "fun mom" thing, although a few weeks ago when I dared to take 4 kids swimming by myself just to be "fun mom" I hit a truck backing out of my driveays and smooshed my new van. A few choice words came out and then off to be fun mom!! I still scored with the kids, not so much with the hubby!